5 Small Steps Towards A Healthier You

The New Year is always a great time to get your health in check, but it can be very overwhelming. Many times before my “get healthy” list grew too long and I end up throwing in the towel really early on. This year I want to be different and take my steps towards health more diligently and spread out. Comprised below are 5 small steps you can take on a daily basis that will lead to a healthier you. None of them are crazy life changing or telling you to get up at 5am to work out (unless you like that, then you go!). However, I hope these small changes can lead to bigger changes that make you feel happier and healthier!

Up Your Water Intake

Overall, upping your water intake is one of the easiest things. For times you usually go for a coke, grab water instead. Also, start each day and meal with a glass of water. This will help to stop your body from storing water and making you feel more bloated. When your body knows that water will be consistently coming then it will not store as much in preparation for a lack of water intake. Drinking a glass of water before each meal will fill you up a little bit, giving you less of a chance of overeating.

Tip: add in some lemon or lime for an extra kick on your metabolism.

Add Some Color

When you’re looking at your grocery cart or dinner plate, does it look colorful? Make sure you aren’t only carb loading and instead have at least one or more other colors on your plate. An easy way to throw in some veggies is with spinach or kale. They can easily be sautéed and paired with chicken or shrimp. Some other great options are peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, and squash!

Take The Stairs

I’m sure you’ve heard this a ton of times but take the stairs! Skip the escalator or elevator and get in some extra steps. You can also grab some extra flights during your lunch break. Finish with a few minutes to spare? Go up and down a few flights in the stairwell and return to your desk more energized than you left it.

Reach For Fruit

So it has been a long day and you finally get home from work, what do you grab? For me it’s most often Goldfish. I absolutely love to much on Goldfish and other crackers when I’m in a rush, stressed, a little hungry or board. It happens at least once a day if not more: mindlessly eating chips. Now think back to all the times you have done it this week alone. What if you had reached for an apple instead?  It will surprise how much more energy you get when you make this swap and in time will start to notice how much better you feel overall!

Park Further Out

We are all guilty of driving around the parking lot until we find the closest spot we can. From now on, let’s try to take the spot a little further out. Each time you do, you are getting in that handful of more steps! I promise that in time you’ll see the difference.

I hope that these few things give you a little kickstart to a healthier you! Small changes can lead to big results, so don’t give up. What are some small things you’ve done to see a difference in your health?

15 Comments

1. Janine

January 12, 2018 at 8:13 pm

I’m a goldfish snacker too! These are such great, simple tips; there’s literally no excuse for not implementing them immediately! Thank you!

2. Sasha

January 15, 2018 at 9:10 pm

I need to do some of these. Especially drinking more water!

1. Taylor

January 16, 2018 at 9:10 pm

It’s so much easier said than done! I wish you luck in your small steps!!

3. Deborah Hunter Kells

January 17, 2018 at 9:51 am

All good healthy choices. Like the one most about including more colour on your plate.

4. AmberLynn

January 17, 2018 at 12:23 pm

I hate when people give grand ideas about becoming healthier, especially because it shocks the systems of a lot of people who listen. I can, however, appreciate that you have provided simple and easy solutions for people. It can always be built upon, and it nudges the audience into a healthier direction.

1. Taylor

January 17, 2018 at 11:16 pm

I agree! It’s hard to be given these giant suggestions with little to no guidance.

5. Paula @ I'm Busy Being Awesome

January 17, 2018 at 4:22 pm

I love small reminders like this, because they’re actually doable. Thanks so much for sharing! I really like your suggestion to drink a glass of water BEFORE the meal. I didn’t know about all the positive health benefits from that. I’ll start that tonight 🙂

1. Taylor

January 17, 2018 at 11:18 pm

Glad I could be of some help Paula!! Good luck!

6. Gabrielle Reese

January 17, 2018 at 6:02 pm

These tips are great. It’s amazing how such simple things like choosing to park further away, or choosing to take the stairs can make a huge impact on out lives.

1. Taylor

January 17, 2018 at 11:13 pm

It is! Hopefully they are easy enough and make us a little more mindful of our actions and their outcomes.

7. Skylar

January 17, 2018 at 10:38 pm

Great tips! I’m guilty for always trying to find the closest parking spot but in my defense I’m often carrying a car seat and it’s SO cold here right now 🤦‍♀️ Lol

8. Lacy Ngo

January 17, 2018 at 11:04 pm

Drinking more water is huge for me! I love love this tip and all your tips!

9. Mishael @ Why Wellness Now

January 17, 2018 at 11:56 pm

Great tips! They’re so easy to implement. Water is so important, and I love snacking on apples! They always help curb my hunger pangs. 🙂

10. Sara | mshealthesteem.com

January 18, 2018 at 2:34 am

Such lovely, simple tricks that can really help to create a much healthier lifestyle. Thanks for getting down to the nitty gritty and making it super easy (and comfortable) for anyone to make amazing changes little by little. <3

11. Elizabeth O

January 18, 2018 at 3:56 am

All are excellent tips and easy to remember. It’s amazing how every little step we take helps our health